The Batwa literacy rate is just 12 percent compared to over 75 percent (2012) of non-Batwa in the same area. Education among the Batwa population has been and remains elusive. But, we must appreciate its relevance in fueling community transformation and promoting equity and equality, as well as a mindset change. With education, the Batwa people will have a sense of equality and agility in regard to development. The opportunities that come with education help in the elimination of disparity that has affected them in terms of social and gender discrimiation. They have mostly been marginalized and fallen victim to desperation and stigma. They may be duped into entering illegal businesses, signing false documents among other things because they do not possess the right education to avoid it. A lot is still needed for this to actually be achieved among the Batwa and thus, many resources are still needed in order for Batwa children to enrol and stay in school. Even then, government schools have consistently ignored those arguing that they can’t afford the fees, lack scholastic materials , food for lunch plus uniforms and shoes.

Formal Education

Only 10 percent of Batwa children enrol into primary one. But, only 2% make it to primary seven and hardly go beyond that. The remaining 98% end up in abusive situations such as hard labor and early/forced marriages and substance abuse. This is attributed to acute marginalization, hunger, stigmatization and the ever biting poverty. Our long term plan is to build a school for Batwa children where they will be loved, pampered, fed, encouraged to stay in school, handled as special needs children while providing them with skills and spiritual growth. This is in addition to providing them with a decent education, scholastic materials, uniforms, guidance counselling and sanitary items for girls.

Skill Development

We will also offer classes in handicrafts to increase their household income. The planned curriculum includes basket weaving, wood carving, jewelery making and clay works which will be sold in local tourist markets and potentially to international markets as well.

Vocational Training

Classes will be available for basic skills in carpentry, masonry, mechanics, driving, tailoring and knitting. Batwa carpenters have been making wooden chairs, stools, beds, tables and various wood carvings. Batwa masons have been able to work on construction sites where they earn a basic income. This will increase that work force. A fully-fledged vocational school will be established by 2027 targeting girls and boys who drop out of school because of age, stigma, hunger and many other factors.